February 2021 Events: Top Things to Do in Miami for Valentine’s Day and More!
Jan 28, 2021 January 28, 2021
It’s the month of love in Miami, and your social calendar needs some TLC, too. With a stellar lineup of art, music, wellness events and Valentine’s Day celebrations to choose from, you can indulge your loved one, yourself and your family with some amazing getaways around town. We also have an expo listed, especially for condo residents, who could learn how to save thousands in home maintenance and more from industry experts.
There’s plenty to enjoy from the comfort of your home too. Our lineup of online and virtual events this February brings you an equally exciting mix of art classes, exhibits, a heritage fest, and even Miami’s annual map fair. Read on for details on these and more things to do in Miami and Fort Lauderdale in February below:
Valentine’s Day in Miami
Photo courtesy of Jesse Goll on Unsplash
How can any social calendar be complete without a Valentine’s Day celebration in February, regardless of whether it’s a party for one, two, or the entire family? So, to help take the guesswork out of “what to do for Valentine’s Day this year?” we’ve put together a list of the top events around town that can help you get started on planning the perfect day:
- Gilberto Santa Rosa – A day before the big day (Feb. 13), you can catch the “Gentleman of Salsa” performing live at The Fillmore Miami Beach.
- DIY Valentine Card and Mural Class – Great for those who like to get started early, this DIY art class will take place on February 6. Miami’s own muralist and stencil artist Registered Artist will be leading the class at the WYN 317 Art Gallery. Learn how to create your own stenciled Valentine’s Day card to take home as you munch on love-themed sweets and beverages.
- To Miami, With Love – This is a series of pop-up performances by the Miami City of Ballet that will be taking place around town, from January 30 to February 21. On February 13th, you can catch MCB dancer Eric Trope’s headline choreography with a ticket to the Wynwood Walls. And, on February the 14th, you can catch Alaina Andersen’s headlining choreography by RSVP-ing to the Design District’s Palm Court pop-up event.
- Valentine Partner Yoga Class – Start Valentine’s Day with positivity. Bring along your best friend, lover, or kids to this partner yoga class at the South Pointe Park in Miami Beach from 9 to 11 am. A great way to connect as you tone, stretch, and get limber.
- Deering Estate Cruise and Concert – This sprawling estate will be the perfect backdrop to a romantic Valentine’s Day Bay cruise and outdoor concert later in the evening. With both events taking place at the Deering Estate, on the 14th, you can easily plan out the day. While the Bay cruise has a morning and afternoon option for a ride on their 45-foot Corinthian catamaran, the concert under the moonlight will feature performances by Leesa Richards and Melinda Rose plus a decadent picnic basket or dinner and dessert of choice.
- Concerts and Sweet Delights at the Fairchild Gardens – With a choice of three great concerts, you can choose to enjoy the Valentine’s Day Concert with BITA for adults only, its family-friendly version, or a concert with Vic Kingsley for your dog date.
You could also choose to indulge your sweet tooth while admiring the beauty of nature with their Sweetest Stroll event taking place on the 13th and 14th.
- Vizcaya Late: Valentine’s - A great choice for those looking for a low-key Valentine’s date, head to the Vizcaya for a tour of the Main House at twilight, live music, and last-minute gift options with your ticket purchase.
February Events: In-Person
Miami Beach Condo & HOA Expo: February 4
1901 Convention Center Dr, Miami Beach Convention Center, South Beach
Photo courtesy of Miami Beach Convention Center
We’ve handpicked this one especially for our condo residents in Miami. Whether it’s advice on how to save on home maintenance, financial advice, property management advice, or legal advice you need for your condo or HOA, you will find an industry expert to help you at this one-of-its-kind expo.
Miami Health and Wellness Months: Through February and March
Various venues across Miami
Photo courtesy of Oksana Taran on Unsplash
Kick-start the season of love by showing your mind, body, and soul some TLC. You can enjoy all the perks and spoils of the Miami Health and Wellness Months on your own or with a loved one. From free rooftop fitness classes to biking along the Bay, getting a discounted AVEDA Stress-Fix session, enjoying 25% off therapies at the Exhale Spa, and indulging in the irresistible charms of a sun, spa and shopping package, this two-month-long program has all the fixes you need to relax, rejuvenate and restore at a discount.
Events at The Bass: February 6, 10 and 28
2100 Collins Ave, The Bass Museum, South Beach
Photo courtesy of The Bass Museum
Expand your horizons with these interactive tours and experiences at The Bass Museum of Art:
- The Bass Highlights Tour on Feb. 6 – This 45-minute guided tour takes you through the museum’s highlights, current collection, its architecture, and interesting behind-the-scenes experiences
- Wellness Wednesdays on Feb. 10 – This high-energy class by fitness instructor and personal trainer Kira Alvarado is great for beginners to experts
- Process Art on Feb. 28 – This online as well as onsite Family Day experience is meant to help introduce you to participatory art-making via collaborative art making activity using chalks
Bonnet House Gardens’ Watercolor Mini-Workshop 1: February 13
900 N Birch Rd, Bonnet House Museum & Gardens, Fort Lauderdale
Photo courtesy of Bonnet House Museum & Gardens
Indulge in the simpler joys of life with this watercolors class. Learn to apply wet-in-wet techniques that give shape to some very interesting and unpredictable results. Students get a chance to create their own work of art after the instructor demo. Other options this month include calligraphy classes. Or simply take a self-guided tour of the historic Florida house and gardens on any day of your choosing.
Art Classes by Adrienne Arsht Center: February 13 & 27
1300 Biscayne Blvd, Arsht Center, Arts & Entertainment District
“Pour Your Art Out” at these very interesting art classes on offer by the Adrienne Arsht Center. The first called Prints on Parade takes place on February 13 and teaches you the art of printmaking using simple materials such as foam, paint and paper palettes. You even get to take home the 6x9 piece you create. The second is called Mandala Art and teaches you to draw and paint your very own mandala that you can later take home.
New Art South Florida: Until February 21
1 E Las Olas Blvd, NSU Art Museum, Fort Lauderdale
This curated exhibition kicks off NSU’s new art season with works from 13 of South Florida’s preeminent artists that won the 2020 South Florida Cultural Consortium (SFCC) awards. Displaying works ranging across a wide spectrum of mediums, you will find all participating artists to be from Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, or Palm Beach County.
Events at the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden: Through February
10901 Old Cutler Rd, Fairchild Garden, Coral Gables
Photo courtesy of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Truly sharing the love all month long, the Fairchild is hosting a fantastic series of events that range from exotic tea sampling to simple hands-on crafts. Here’s a peek:
- Between the two tea tasting sessions this month - High Mountain Taiwanese Oolongs on the 6th and Teas from China on the 28th – you wouldn’t want to miss either if you wish to relax, rejuvenate and indulge in some tea meditation.
- Photography lovers will enjoy fine-tuning their skills attending the Photography Through the Eyes Of The Artist class on the 6th and Sunrise Session with Carlos Cuaso on the 13th.
- For a more hands-on learning experience, join the Tropical Floral Design class with a professional florist on the 13th or explore the basics of electronics with your little one at the Tinker Time Circuits for Kids session on the 20th.
- Plant enthusiasts will enjoy the International Aroid Society Show & Sale taking place on the 6th and 7th.
- You will also find most of their recurring events such as the Early-Bird Walks, Dog Date Yoga, Full Moon Nighttime Yoga on February 27th, and more on the schedule.
Events at the Deering Estate: Through February
16701 SW 72nd Ave, Deering Estate, Palmetto Bay
Exhibit: ICTUM OLIM VI by Miquel Salom. Photo courtesy of Deering Estate
This lineup of events by the Deering Estate is a great excuse to enjoy the outdoors:
- Afro-Fusion Dance Class on Feb. 6 – Learn to groove to a blend of Afro-diasporic dances such as Salsa, Afro-Cuban, and West African dance as you soak in the views at the estate
- ICTUM OLIM VI Exhibit by Miquel Salom starting Feb. 12 – Discover the “impact of the old” as you browse through the artist’s exhibition of alumitypes (tintypes on aluminum foil)
- You will also find the estate’s most popular regular events such as Nature Photography, Night Hike & Campfire, Bird Walks, Lighthouses of Biscayne Bay Cruise, Sit Spot Meditation, Sunrise Clear Kayak Adventures, and others taking place throughout the month
State Parks Reopen: Now onwards
Anastasia State Park. Photo courtesy of Florida State Parks
It’s time to dust off those hiking shoes and get ready to soak in some Vitamin D as Florida’s state parks are now open. With COVID-19-related safety measures in place, get back to enjoying nature and the outdoor activities you love. Choose from among 175 beautiful parks such as the Oleta River State Park, Barnacle Historic State Park, Bill Baggs Cape, or Marjory Stoneman to get on with your adventures.
Those not ready to venture out can still find comfort in checking out the “Parks from Anywhere” program from home that allows you to learn more about Florida’s wildlife via park webcams, coloring sheets, and other fun activities.
February Events: Virtual
Guest Wellness, Wellbeing and Safety Protocols: February 2
Photo courtesy of Laura Lauch on Unsplash
A great webinar for those looking to rent out their condos as vacation and short-term rentals, like Airbnb! This online conference will offer valuable insight into how to fulfill your guests’ desire for safety and wellness, while seeing a return on your investment. The program will also touch upon the latest technology and in-room equipment that has turned into a necessity.
Art + Soul at PAMM: February 6
Join in the online debut of one of Miami’s premier social and fundraising events. Keeping the African American Art narrative alive at the Perez Art Museum Miami, this annual fundraiser will be streaming its traditional “Reveal” and popular “Celebration Party” online. The event will come hosted by renowned broadcaster Neki Mohan and you can pre-order a Marcus Samuelsson-designed dinner for 2 to 6, home-delivered with a side of champagne, wine from Black-owned wineries, and other surprises.
Intro to 3D Printing for Adults: February 6
Learn about the inner workings of a 3D printer and how to design objects for 3D printing. Hosted virtually by the Fairchild Tropical Gardens, this basics class is equally fun for kids as well as adults.
Miami International Map Fair: February 10 - 14
Photo courtesy of Wallace Chuck from Pexels
The most highly anticipated, one-of-its-kind, annual map fair by the HistoryMiami Museum goes virtual this year. More than 30 dealers from around the world will put up unique maps, atlases, and globes of all shapes and sizes on display to help you explore how the world functioned before Google maps. The 5-day online event will also feature Zoom lectures as well as live virtual booths to connect directly with the dealers. While the virtual map fair is free, the speaker series will require tickets.
Heritage Fest 2021 by the Adrienne Arsht Center: February 20
Photo courtesy of the Adrienne Arsht Center
Join in on this free, virtual celebration of performance and culture in Miami. With a theme of “The Black Family: Representation, Identity and Diversity,” the event promises to have something for everyone. Expect to tour Wynwood’s latest murals, create a work of art, learn a new recipe, listen to Miami’s Pan-African history or take in beautiful performances at this virtually streamed event. Tune into this page or the Adrienne Arsht Center’s YouTube channel or Facebook page to catch the live stream.
Attending one of these events or know of a Miami or Fort Lauderdale event we missed? Connect with us on our Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter to let us know! We’d love to hear from you!