June 2021 Miami Events: Summer Fun in the Magic City
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021
Whether you love to spend your summers indoors, outdoors, or in the shade of a cool tropical tree, our list of things to do has you covered this June!
Our summer edit of fun events in Miami features film festivals, comedy specials, movie screenings, an exciting spin around the race track, lots of art and art classes, summer camp ideas, World Ocean Day specials, and tips to plan a fun Father’s Day. Besides these, you’ll also find the usual recommendation of yoga, painting, science, and art classes on the list.
So, regardless of whether you’re looking for an online or in-person event to fill your social calendar, dive right in to discover your choices for June:
Things to Do in Miami - June Events at a Glance
- Father’s Day 2021 Celebrations in Miami
- June 2021: Miami In-person Events
- Give Back at the Track: June 6
- Miami Web Fest: June 10 to 13
- Vizcaya Late: Portraiture: June 11
- Beach Vibes Market: June 26 to July 10
- Events at the Adrienne Arsht Center: Throughout June
- Events at the Deering Estate: Throughout June
- Events at the Fairchild Gardens: Throughout June
- In-person and Virtual Events at Frost Museum of Science: Throughout June
- June 2021: Miami Virtual Events
- O Cinema South Beach: June 1, 2, 3 & 16
- ABFF Comedy Festival: June 2 to 13
- World Oceans Day Film Festival: June 4 to 8
- Events at the Lowe Art Museum: Throughout June
Photo by Kelli McClintock on Unsplash
After Mother’s Day, it’s time to celebrate fathers and all the father figures in our lives. Find some inspiration below to help plan a super Father’s Day (June 20, 2021) in Miami:
- Treat Super Dad to a Super Meal at the Hard Rock Café - 12 PM to 8 PM, any day from June 17 to 20. You have 4 full days to get dad to dominate their king-size meal that includes a Cowboy Ribeye steak, grilled and topped with Bangkok spicy shrimp, served with mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables, and a glass of ice-cold beer.
- Does your Dad love a good ol’ barbecue? Then Chef Matt McMillin of Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant has the best gift for him. The chef and his team have put together an incredible grill kit the entire family can enjoy (serves 4). Make sure you reserve your kit by June 16 – more details here.
- Book your spot for big laughs on the 19th as you reserve a table at The Big Show. A Whose Line Is It Anyway meets SNL kind-of show, this signature showcase guarantees fun and entertainment with live, fast-paced, improv comedy belted out by an award-winning cast.
- Swig it like Pops at the 1 Hotel South Beach’s Habitat. This whiskey flight features three gorgeously aged whiskeys, so you and Dad can spend some quality time with a quality tipple.
- Does Dad enjoy a good workout? Challenge him to the 8th Annual Father’s Day 1M 5K 10K 13.1 26.2 virtual run (or walk) benefitting Team Hoyt, a charity helping disabled and physically challenged youth through life. You can also do the run from home.
- If Papa loves to fish, then this fishing cruise aboard the 45-foot Pelican Island Skipper at the Deering Estate is all he needs. The 3-hour tour features catch & release fishing along with educational observations on local flora and fauna made by Deering Estate Naturalists.
- For Dads spending the day with kids aged 2-8, this hamburger cupcakes cooking class on the 19th and 20th is a great way to bond. Share a few laughs as you learn to create sweet hamburgers with cupcakes at this weekend class by the Taste Buds Kitchen in Miami West.
- You could also just sit down to a wholesome brunch, lunch or dinner with dad, as you choose from over a dozen restaurants here.
Give Back at the Track: June 6
One Ralph Sanchez, Speedway Blvd, Homestead-Miami Speedway
Feel the need for speed? Then gear up to dominate the oval at the Homestead Speedway. With all proceeds going towards “Driving For A Cause - A Donor Advised Fund Of The Nascar Foundation,” you get to have fun revving up the engine and tasting the asphalt for a good cause.
Arturo Sandoval in Concert: June 5-6
7275 Collins Ave, North Beach Bandshell, Miami Beach
Don’t miss this opportunity to experience one of the world’s most influential and legendary jazz musicians, Arturo Sandoval, play an open-air performance at Miami Beach’s North Beach Bandshell. A protégé of the legendary jazz master Dizzy Gillespie, Cuban-born Sandoval is known as one of the world’s most acknowledged guardians of jazz trumpet and flugelhorn, as well as a renowned classical artist, pianist and composer. He has won 10 Grammy Awards, with 19 nominations, and he has also received 6 Billboard Awards and an Emmy Award. His two latest Grammy award winning albums, “Dear Diz, Everyday I think of you” and Tango “Como Yo Te Siento” are now available worldwide.
World Ocean’s Day Beach Clean Up: June 8
In celebration of World Ocean's Day, take part in a beach cleanup with Debris Free Oceans. The meeting point will be at the entrance of 1 Beach Club, located on 24th and Collins Ave beginning at about 11 am. All proceeds go to Debris Free Oceans.
Robert Glasper in Concert: June 10
7275 Collins Ave, North Beach Bandshell, Miami Beach
Photo Credit: Todd Cooper
Blue Note Live brings you an intimate evening with R&B legend Robert Glasper for dinner and an open-air concert. Viewed as the leader of a new sonic paradigm with a career that bridges musical and artistic genres, Glasper has won 3 Grammy Awards, including Best R&B Album, and received 8 nominations across 6 categories. He also won an Emmy Award for his song for Ava Duvernay’s critically hailed documentary “13th” with Common and Karriem Riggins. Don’t miss this special evening with a loving and soulful voice of music and the Black Lives Matters movement.
Miami Web Fest: June 10-13
16701 Collins Ave, Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort, Sunny Isles Beach
Catch the hottest web series or next big thing in the new media space at this International Film Festival. Celebrating web series from around the world, the four-day festival is a must-visit for movie lovers, filmmakers, and those looking to expand their network. This year’s exciting lineup of events includes a rocking kickoff party at Boho House, live panels, masterclasses, screenings, networking parties, an awards gala, and afterparty. See the complete schedule here.
Vizcaya Late: Portraiture: June 11
3251 S Miami Ave, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, Coconut Grove
For the month of June, ‘Vizcaya Late’ brings 3 local artists to its Italian renaissance gardens for an evening of scenic portrait painting and extended hours of exploration. The Vizcaya Late program has been crafted to allow guests to stroll the museum and grounds till 8 p.m., while featuring a new theme/activity each month.
Beach Vibes Market: June 26 – July 10
915 Washington Ave, Moxy Miami South Beach Hotel, South Beach
This Pop Up Shop event will feature shopping beachwear from local vendors, a yoga class, an unbeatable happy hour drink special at The Upside rooftop bar.
The Stadium Tour Concert: June 26
347 Don Shula Dr, Hard Rock Stadium, Hollywood
Are you ready to rock? Like I Love Rock-n-Roll, Pour Some Sugar on Me rock? "The Stadium Tour" at Hard Rock Stadium is bringing back all of the best of 80s rock with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard and Poison. Make sure you have enough hairspray and a babysitter for the entire night!
Events at the Adrienne Arsht Center: Throughout June
1300 Biscayne Blvd, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Arts & Entertainment District
Miami’s performing arts center presents an interesting line-up of art, dance, and creative play to choose from this June:
- Lasting Impressions 3D Experience, June 1-16: This once-in-a-lifetime experience takes you on a 3D journey through the world’s most famous Impressionist paintings. You’re not just walking through a projection, but literally stepping INSIDE a multi-dimensional world of art with the help of new, patented digital technology. This immersive art experience will take you into more than 100 classic masterworks from artists such as Monet, Van Gogh, Seurat, and Degas – all set to the stimulating background score of classical music by the likes of Debussy and Ravel.
- Batik Hoop Painting Workshop, June 5: If you missed it last month, now’s your chance to let little ones join batik artist Munirah Rimer for a 60-minute workshop, and walk home with a fresh-crafted batik handkerchief to show for the art they’ve learned.
- Family Fest – Special Delivery, June 21: This program will keep the kids happily engaged through summer. For 6 weeks, participants will receive a red envelope with instructions for adventurous play at home that will nudge kids to find the extraordinary in their surroundings. No zoom links, no stepping out, it’s simple creative play at home!
- Siudy Flamenco – Baila Ora, June 26-27: Bailaora – within me, within you is back by popular demand after its successful world premiere last November. Award-winning choreographer/dancer Siudy Garrido’s narrative comes to life in collaboration with flamenco stars Farruquito and Antonio Canales.
Events at the Deering Estate: Throughout June
16701 SW 72nd Avenue, Deering Estate, Palmetto Bay
- Shorts Under the Stars: Celebrating Black Stories, June 13: In honor of the Juneteenth celebrations taking place this month, reserve yourself a front lawn seat at the Deering for a picnic with interesting short films on the menu like Me Time, Meg’s First Dance, Indochine Station 13, Easy Life, and more.
- Junior Naturalists (ages 15-17), June 14-18: This 5-day training course encourages young adults to take an active role in environmental stewardship, education, and helps prepare them to serve as peer mentors.
- Every Being is an Island Exhibit by Amalia Caputo, June 18 – August 31: As an artist-in-residence at the Deering Estate, this exhibit documents Amalia Caputo’s experiences as a collection of images, video, and objects unique to the space.
Events at the Fairchild Gardens: Throughout June
10901 Old Cutler Road, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Coral Gables
- Art lovers can look forward to Watercolor Painting with Marilyn Valiente, Drawing to Painting, Morning Sessions, Laser Etched Wood Art for Adults, Encaustic Hot Wax Painting, Open Studio Painting, an Oil Painting Class, Portrait Drawing In Graphite Or Charcoal, and a Family Painting Class.
- Curious ones will find joy in learning how to Assemble Your Own 3d Dinosaur, Think Design, and Build Your Own 3D Nightlight.
- Those with a green thumb will enjoy learning Macramé with Sea Fossils, The Art and Science of Growing Ferns, Bromeliad Gardening, and Growing Native Plants from Stems and Seeds.
- Others can choose between exploring the Garden At Dusk, learning about Tea Behind The Bar, enrolling for a Photography Class, or a Tea Sampling session.
In-person and Virtual Events at Frost Museum of Science: Throughout June
1101 Biscayne Blvd, Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science, Downtown
With in-person and online versions available for all their themed summer camps, here’s what the kids can look forward to this summer from the Frost Museum:
- Head to the museum on June 6 to celebrate World Ocean Day 2021 or tune into their Virtual Live presentation on June 8 to learn about the unique challenges and opportunities in the recovery of Biscayne Bay
- Space lovers will be overjoyed when their imagination gets to Takes Flight with a focus on Aeronautics and Aviation from June 14-18
- Sea explorers will find the Marine Makeover and Marine Lab extremely useful from June 21-25
- Design masterminds will thoroughly enjoy the Inventive Engineers and Extraordinary Engineers summer camps from June 28 to July 2
O Cinema South Beach: June 1, 2, 3 & 16
Out of things to binge-watch? Head over to O Cinema’s virtual platform to catch the Moby documentary on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (narrated by the music icon himself), Veronika Voss on the 2nd (R.W. Fassbinder’s last film), or Fitzcarraldo on the 16th (a Werner Herzog masterpiece).
ABFF Comedy Festival: June 2-13
Tune in to this inaugural comedy festival for big laughs! Showcasing black and brown comedians plus writers, this first edition is a spinoff of the American Black Film Festival (ABFF). A festival pass will give you online access to the event’s full entertainment package including live stand-up comedy performances, screenings of studio and network films, television content in the comedy genre, celebrity talks, and writing workshops.
World Oceans Day Film Festival: June 4-8
Simply register to enjoy this FREE virtual film festival celebrating World Oceans Day 2021. The 5-day event will feature lots of short films, feature-length films, a special screening of To the Orcas with Love, and plenty of webinars to help you dive into the ocean life. A must-see for kids this summer.
Events at the Lowe Art Museum: Throughout June
Photo courtesy of Huxley-Parlour
Here’s what the Lowe Art Museum has planned for the month of June:
- Vanessa Bell and Gwen John: Women Who Pushed the Artistic Envelope, June 10: Before the art comes to the museum this fall, join Fine Art Connoisseur’s editor-in-chief, Peter Trippi as he traces the journey of these two Victorian-era artists. Although they led different lives and created completely distinctive artworks, learn how they made a huge impact on the early 20th-century art scene in Britain.
- William Wegman and the Polaroid 20 x 24 Camera on Location in Miami, June 24: Catch this virtual showcase by photographer William Wegman for an interesting perspective on Miami.
- The Art of Mindfulness, Every Tuesday: Any week you feel out of sorts, just reserve a Tuesday to tune into this live, weekly, guided meditation practice that helps you recharge and cultivate greater present moment awareness in life.
Planning to attend one of these summer events? We’d love to hear from you on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and share the fun. Also, follow us on any of our social handles to get all the latest monthly updates on events in Miami and Fort Lauderdale!