Miami Events 2021: May’s Lineup of Fun Things to Do
Apr 30, 2021 April 30, 2021
The mercury’s beginning to rise outside, but thankfully we have the biggest thirst-quencher of an event making a splash on Miami Beach again this year – the #SOBEWFF. Yes, after months of waiting, you can break out your most stylish pair of stretchy pants and kick back with the best food and spirits from some of the most talented chefs and mixologists in the U.S.
Along with the most popular food festival on the planet, this month’s spectacular line-up of things to do in Miami includes Mother’s Day specials, a music festival, Swim Miami’s challenging swim-a-thon, a late night at Vizcaya, virtual talks, and much more.
Read on for list of the best things to do in Miami this May:
May 2021: In-Person Events in Miami
Miami Attractions & Museums Month: Throughout May
Various venues across Miami
Helping summertime traditions stay alive, the Temptations Program brings spectacular deals on museums and attractions throughout the month of May. Enjoy family-friendly deals such as 20% Off the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, Buy One Get One free (BOGO) membership to the Museum of Contemporary Art, 50% Off admission to South Beach’s Bass Museum of Art, 10% Off art classes, Buy 1 Adult Get 1 Child free on Miami Ecoadventures, and much more.
Photo courtesy of Frost Science Museum
Join in a “bioblitz” global nature competition with the City Nature Challenge (CNC). By photographing area plants and animals on Virginia Key, you are helping to identify local flora and fauna while making South Florida beat other cities around the world! Upload your biodiversity images to iNaturalist.
Wonder in the Wilderness / Family Dinner Project: May 6 & 15
3251 S Miami Ave, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, Coconut Grove
A great excuse to bask in some gorgeous sun and fresh air at the historic Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, these events offer the best of the Miami lifestyle for everyone:
- Wonder in the Wilderness, May 6: Explore the more fantastic elements of the gardens with extended hours at Vizcaya. This experience lets you stroll the grounds, roam about the first floor of the Main House, and enjoy a stress-free glass of wine with light bites and music by the bay.
- Family Dinner Project, May 15: Plan an entire evening with the kids and family at the estate, where you will get to watch a movie, play games, get a cooking demo, and sit down to a delicious meal – all in the glorious European gardens of the Vizcaya on Biscayne Bay.
COMEDY + MUSIC Festival: May 8
11720 NE 2nd Ave, North Miami
Share a few light moments with the heavyweights of laughter at this all-day, outdoor music festival. The finest of local celebrities, comedians, entertainers, and live music acts will be served with a side of an unlimited mimosa brunch. A great 12 hours of entertainment, it’s also an all-you-can-drink music and comedy jam with a MIDDAY MONEY $200 cash open-mic contest.
Fort Lauderdale Air Show: May 8-9
Photo courtesy of AirDotShow
Mother’s Day weekend, take to the beaches of Fort Lauderdale for one of the best air shows around. From noon to 4 pm, watch the U.S. Navy Angels, F-16 Viper Demo Team, Parachute Commandos, vintage planes and more show their stuff in skies above the waters. You can reserve your own sandboxes or rooftop viewing balconies with participating hotels.
New World Symphony Wallcasts: Throughout May
Bring a picnic and a blanket for evenings of cinema and symphonies under the stars at the New World Symphony. Set in the beautiful park outside the Frank Gehry’s designed performance hall, listen to the best and brightest rising stars play your classical favorites. Or watch some of the best movies on the lawn with their SoundScape Cinema series.
- Premiere Encore Wallcast - Stravinsky and Balanchine: May 7 at 8:00 PM
- SoundScape Cinema Cunningham: May 5
- SoundScape Cinema Roman Holiday: May 12
- SoundScape Cinema Pavarotti: May 19
- SoundScape Cinema Avengers: End Game: May 26
Mother’s Day Specials: Sunday, May 9
Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels
Celebrate all mothers at the Rusty Pelican Mother’s Day Brunch, featuring waterfront views of Miami and a Three-Course Brunch Celebration menu. From 10 am to 4 pm, enjoy chilled seafood, salads, charcuterie, eggs benedict, dessert and more!
Bring your own picnic at The Deering Estate while you enjoy the gorgeous grounds and gardens. And then take a Mother’s Day Bay Cruise on the Pelican Skipper, a 45-foot Catamaran. Toast the most important woman in your life with a glass of complimentary champagne.
For those looking to work on your flow together, this virtual yoga class is a real treat for mothers and daughters of all ages. Best part - none of you even needs to step outside of the house.
South Beach Wine and Food Festival: May 20-23
Various venues across South Beach
Miami Beach’s signature, most delicious annual food and wine festival is finally back on the calendar! With an entire roster of events to choose from to customize your mouth-watering experience at the SOBEWFF, you won’t want to miss any of the star-studded private dinners, signature events, alfresco grand tastings, outdoor cooking extravaganzas, parties, and more at this 4-day event.
Celebrating the festival’s 20th anniversary, this year’s iconic fest is set to feature over 68 events across multiple venues. The wine and dine selection is also better than ever. So, we highly recommend bringing your cravings and leaving all possibilities of guilt at home!
Swim Miami: May 23
3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami Marine Stadium, Virginia Key
Challenge yourself to a swim marathon at one of the largest open water swims in the USA. Compete in the 800M, the Miami Mile, the 5K swim, or the 10K swim to prove your mettle and see where you stand among the competition. Better still, bring along your canine bestie to compete in the human/dog duathlon and go all out for the world-famous K-9 Krawl World Championship. Whatever you choose to do, don’t miss this fan-friendly open water event.
Memorial Day Beach Brunch: May 30
La Sombra, 1000 Collins Ave, South Beach
Photo by Helena Lopes from Pexels
Ladies, gear up to reserve your spot for a fun day of brunch at the beach! La Sombra will be hosting its Memorial Day Weekend brunch from 12 PM to 6 PM, with a special women’s time before 1 PM available via RSVP.
Events at the Adrienne Arsht Center: Throughout May
1300 Biscayne Blvd, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Arts & Entertainment District
Culture seekers will enjoy the exceptional line-up available at the Adrienne Arsht Center this month:
- Mosaic Art, May 8: Gather all your beachcombed objects and cracked china to turn it into something beautiful at this mosaic class with instructor Carolina Blanco.
- Shorts Outside the Box, May 13: These refreshing, intimate evenings of short plays are the best of casual theater and a superb way to spend a fun evening with your friends and family.
- Lasting Impressions, May 19 – June 16: Step inside over 100 classic Impressionist masterworks using digital tech, and experience your favorite Monet, Van Gogh, or Degas like never before.
- Batik Hoop Painting Workshop, May 22: Batik artist Munirah Rimer of Teratai Malaysia will take a 60-minute class to teach you about batik from around the world, as you create a beautiful handkerchief design.
Events at the Fairchild Botanical: Throughout May
10901 Old Cutler Rd, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Coral Gables
- This month’s art classes at the Fairchild will include an impressionist painting class, watercolors with Diane Lary, and a graphite/charcoal portrait drawing class
- For the kids, learn how to 3D print your own dinosaur, use TinkerCAD for adults, or introduce the kids to 3D printing
- The Fairchild’s yoga specials in May include the usuals such as Doga, Mommy and Me yoga, as well as new additions like Supermoon yoga and morning Vinyasa with crystal sound bowls
- Tea lovers won’t want to miss the Liquid Meditation special on teas that support meditation as well as the Teas of Wuyi Shan, a place known in legend to be where the immortals drink tea
- Those looking for a more hands-on experience should join the Paleo cooking classes to learn to whip up a Thai Tom Yum or Greek Meatballs
- The Fairchild also has something for its gardening fans in its Bonsai Design Class and Growing Microgreens workshops
May 2021: Virtual Events in Miami
Zen and the Art of Film / Zen and the Art of Conducting: May 3 & 10
The Betsy South Beach is hosting a series of screenings and conversations online. Mark the 3rd of May for a live broadcast of Jethro Waters’ feature film about iconic photographer Burk Uzzle. The electrifying film brings into limelight the legendary photographer’s best works from Martin Luther King Jr. to Woodstock and more.
Reserve the 10th of May for a musical journey with Principal Instructor Mark Gibson. The Principal Instructor of the Miami Classical Music Festival Conducting Institute and Director of Orchestral Studies has a special evening broadcast planned along with a fine conversation for a wholesome experience for audiences at home.
RSVP for a spot at this live-streamed, educational speaker series by the Frost Museum of Science. Celebrating National Astronomy Day, this special edition broadcast will be exploring the theme of The Universe as a Time Machine this month. A great program to tune into for curious kids and adults.
Events at the Lowe Art Museum: Throughout May
Tune into the best of the Lowe with this special lineup for May by the museum:
- The Art of Mindfulness, Every Tuesday: This live, virtually guided meditation practice is meant to help you recharge, refresh, and cultivate greater present moment awareness.
- The Last Leonardo, May 14: This virtual discussion will take you on an art restoration journey with Dianne Dwyer Modestini, known for restoring and conserving Old Master and nineteenth-century paintings.
- Coffee, Tea, What Do You See? May 15: This virtual interactive session will take you through the museum’s collection and end with a group discussion to help participants gain a better understanding of the art they see.
Love to hear about the top things to do around Miami and Fort Lauderdale? Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter to get all the latest monthly updates!