Miami September 2021 Events: End of Summer Spice, Film Festivals, Concerts, and Art
Aug 25, 2021 August 25, 2021
Summer may be on its way out but it doesn’t have to be the end of everything fun. This September, Miami’s mix of events features another great month of Miami Spice. There are two intriguing film festivals to enjoy, along with some great classics screening at the Coral Gables Art Cinema.
There’s also plenty of music to celebrate including the more intimate PAMM’s Summer Sounds, or catching legends Eric Clapton or David Bisbal be live in concert. Kids will definitely enjoy the lineup of mini summer camps, art classes, and Disney on Ice performances taking place this September. And, those looking to stay at home can enjoy our curation of virtual events.
Read on for a full list of the Top Things to Do in Miami this September:
Things to Do in Miami - September Events at a Glance
Special: Labor Day Weekend Events
September 2021: Miami In-person Events
- Miami Spice Month: Throughout September
- Miami Hotel Months: Throughout September
- Leonardo Drew’s Cycles: September 1 through to November 17
- Plant Market at the Center for Subtropical Affairs: Every Saturday
- Summer Sounds Evenings at PAMM: September 2 & 9
- Urban Film Festival Weekend 2021: September 3-5
- Inffinito Brazilian Film Festival: September 3-18
- New Moon Yoga at Sagamore: September 7
- Frost Science Museum Mini-Camps: September 7, 16 & 18
- The Children’s Trust Family Fun Day Pop-Up: September 9 & 16
- Wynwood’s Octoberfest: September 9-12
- Vizcaya Late - Extended Hours: September 16
- Disney On Ice: Mickey’s Search Party: September 16-19
- Virginia Key Beach Park Clean-Up Day: September 18
- Impressions: Monotype Printing with Jennifer Printz: September 18
- Forward Motion - Physically Integrated Dance Festival: September 22-25
- Mercedes Benz Corporate Run: September 23
- Eric Clapton with Special Guest Jimmie Vaughan: September 26
- David Bisbal - Gira En Tus Planes Tour: September 30
- Various Films at the Coral Gables Art Cinema: Throughout September
- Events at the Adrienne Arsht Center: Throughout September
- Events at the Deering Estate: Throughout September
- Events at the Fairchild Gardens: Throughout September
September 2021: Miami Virtual Events
- What is Miami to You? – A Conversation: September 9
- Conversations at MOCA: September 14 & 29
- Watercolor Pyramids – Bass Family Day: September 26
Special: Labor Day Weekend Events
September 6 is Labor Day this year and it’s the perfect excuse to get in as much end-of-summer fun as you can. With the extended weekend being the perfect breather before it's back to school, here’s how you can enjoy your extra time off in Miami:
- Catch the hysterical ‘Latina’s Guide to Surviving the Universe’ at the Actors’ Playhouse, Miracle Theatre in Coral Gables for a side-splitting weekend. The 3-time Carbonell Award-winning Cuban-American actress, Elena María García will be portraying stories of over 20 Latinas in this hilarious production featuring whimsical song and dialogue.
- Discover Wynwood on the Road with unlimited sparkling wine on Sunday, September 5. A fun weekend tour by the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami, hop onto this luxury smart bus to enjoy a spin around Wynwood’s unique art, good music, appetizers at the Totem restaurant, and 15% off Skinny Fizz Sparkling Wine.
- Laugh through the weekend as SouthBeachComedy.com and JosepherRingleader.com present a stand-up fest. The 3-day music and comedy festival, taking place September 3-5, will feature acts by the likes of Leetah Faye, Pauley McPaulerson, John Gregory, and Joseph Wienhouse, along with live music by Butterflhigh, Yanick, and Travis Roig. You could also get the unlimited mimosa brunch for added fun.
- The Perez Art Museum has special Labor Day celebrations in store with live music, free art-making activities, and themed eats at the Verde Restaurant and Bar.
- Those looking for a laidback weekend should plan a trip to the scenic Schnebly Redland’s Winery and Brewery to enjoy their Golden Hour Friday, Live Music Saturday, and Live Music Sunday.
- Those looking for an educational adventure should take the Stiltsville Guided Bay Cruise aboard a 45-foot Corinthian catamaran departing from the Deering Estate.
- For good ol’ Labor Day BBQ, check out this list of restaurants, or simply check out Miami Spice restaurants here.
- You could also plan a fun, nature trip to one of the quieter beaches at Crandon Park Beach, the dog-friendly Hobie Beach-Windsurfer Beach, or Oleta River State Park.
September 2021: In-Person Events in Miami
Miami Spice Month: Throughout September
Various restaurants across Miami
If you haven’t yet tried Miami Spice yet, September’s your final call to enjoy a wallet-friendly culinary adventure in Miami. With lunch/brunch available at $28 and dinner at $42, it’s the perfect excuse to try out every dish and restaurant on your wishlist – high-end to low-key.
This year, Miami Spice brings you flavors from the celebrated kitchens of NiDo Caffe e Ristorante (Italian with 9 entrée options), Hakkasan Miami Beach (upscale Chinese at the Fontainebleau Hotel), Wayku (South American delights), Mignonette (seafood with a dozen oyster options), Byblos Miami (hearty Mediterranean for a big appetite), RED South Beach (weekly themed menus with half-priced bottles on Wednesdays). Go here for the complete list of Miami Spice 2021 participating restaurants by neighborhood.
Miami Hotel Months: Throughout September
Various hotels across Miami
Squeeze in one last vacation/staycation before fall gets going with special discounts courtesy of the Miami Hotel program. Available throughout September, feel free to pick your perfect experience from a range of luxury stays to cozy rooms, beachfront extravaganzas to boutique solitude, de-stress packages to watersports adventures, and much more. Check out the complete list of participating hotels here.
Leonardo Drew - Cycles: September 1 through to November 17
Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, 10975 SW 17th St, FIU University Park
The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum presents an exhibition to immerse yourself in the artistic expressions of nature. Find organic forms, reminiscent of the night sky to geographical landscapes and distant galaxies, in the print collection by Jordan D. Schnitzer and His Family Foundation. ‘Cycles’ is an evocative display of textures and luminosities that transform cotton paper pulp and pigment into a rich canvas for microcosmic and macrocosmic perceptions.
Plant Market at the Center for Subtropical Affairs: Every Saturday in September
Center for Subtropical Affairs, 7145 NW 1st Ct, Little River
Looking for a new desk plant, house plant, perennials, or even a fruit tree? Head to the Center for Subtropical Affairs’ free, weekly plant market and bring home your new plant baby this fall. While you’re at it, get a hand-painted planter from ‘Gacato,’ stop by the curated outlet ‘Nice Rack’ for vintage finds, and drop into ‘Auntie Drea's Kitchen’ for some Caribbean-style vegan comfort food.
Summer Sounds Evenings at PAMM: September 2 & 9
Verde at Pérez Art Museum, 1103 Biscayne Blvd, Downtown Miami
Spend the end of summer with breezy, musical evenings at the waterfront terrace at PAMM. Catch the tail-end of their ‘Summer Sounds’ series, taking place on Thursdays, to enjoy great music with happy hour specials and a tour around the museum. Here’s what you’ll find at their final two shows in September:
- September 2nd performance by Melinda Rose (vocals), Franchesca Romero (piano), and Mikaila Kasha (bass)
- September 9th Golden Soul concert with Beau Cornelius on keys, Marty Quinn on bass, and Kalil Bohannon on drums
Urban Film Festival Weekend 2021: September 3-5
Historic Lyric Theater, 819 NW 2nd Ave, Downtown Miami
Highlighting the new age of filmmakers, this one’s a must-see for all film buffs. This year, the in-person+livestream hybrid event will be celebrating culturally-driven content, showcasing the lives of different communities. Expect to meet filmmakers and watch some intriguing movies as you catch up on the festival’s Official Selection Screenings, Film Workshops, and Industry Discussions – all live and free for all attendees.
Inffinito Brazilian Film Festival: September 3-18
North Beach Bandshell, Regal South Beach, FIU, NWC Soundscape Park Miami Beach
Back celebrating its 25th edition, this Brazilian film festival is just what you need to catch up on world cinema. See what’s making waves in the Brazilian film community as you tune into the festival’s in-person or online screenings. A great opportunity to dive into the artistic diversity of Brazilian cinema.
New Moon Yoga at Sagamore: September 7
The Sagamore Hotel, 1671 Collins Ave, South Beach
Photo by Jose Vazquez on Unsplash
Take the opportunity to get your ‘Warrior Flow’ on this new moon at the Sagamore South Beach. Join Adrian Molina, founder of The Warrior Flow Foundation, for a truly immersive yoga experience with noise-canceling, LED headphones for better focus. Simply bring along your yoga mat and an open mind to this cleansing session that will also include a closing ritual plus aromatherapy by Glam Goddess, art by Galleria Ca' d'Oro, and Tarot readings by Dennis Hunter.
Frost Science Museum Mini-Camps: September 7, 16 & 18
Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science, 1101 Biscayne Blvd, Downtown Miami
Photo by Renee Kiffin on Unsplash
Help your little ones smoothly transition out of “summer mode” with these interactive mini-camps. The perfect blend of fun and learning, here’s what’s taking place at the Frost Science Museum in September:
- Rock My World, September 7 – This rock-solid class will help little explorers learn how to test rocks for hardness and have fun with a make-and-take crystal art project.
- Sea Turtle Science, September 16 – Kids will break out of their shells and discover the amazing world of sea turtles with a sea turtle obstacle course, trip to the aquarium, and building their own turtle.
- International Coastal Cleanup Day 2021, September 18 – This one-day volunteer effort will have you join millions across the globe who are equally concerned about the health of our oceans and waterways. Register at VolunteerCleanup.org to check into this global event and help clean up marine debris near you. At the end of the day, you get to take home a souvenir tote bag, add to your community service hours, and generally feel good about helping.
The Children’s Trust Family Fun Day Pop-Up: September 9 & 16
History Miami Museum, 101 W Flagler St, Downtown Miami
Show up for a Brazilian music and dance performance and have a fun, family day as well at this pop-up event. Headlined by Samba performance artists-in-residence Rose Max & Ramatis, this day-long event will also feature Make-and-Take Craft stations, Community Murals with local artists, Story Time with a museum educator, a Downtown Walking Tour with the resident historian, a Miami Stories recording booth, music, games, and much more.
Wynwood’s Octoberfest: September 9-12
The Wynwood Marketplace, 2250 Northwest 2nd Avenue, Wynwood
Munich may have canceled Oktoberfest, but you can still enjoy the spirit of the festival closer home in Miami. In its 11th year, this 4-day festival is a must-attend for bier fans as you get to unwind with beer games, tours of the beer hall, stein hoisting, getting your “pitchers” taken in the photo booths. You can also indulge Toto with dog-friendly activities, savor seasonal beers, nosh on great food, and enjoy pumpkin themed-everything.
Vizcaya Late - Extended Hours: September 16
Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, 3251 S Miami Ave, Coconut Grove
Craving a low-key evening outdoors with friends or your date? The Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is just the place to be this September. Open for extended hours once a month, it’s the perfect mid-week getaway with music by the bay, house tours, and an evening stroll in the Italian Renaissance gardens of this historic, ex-winter retreat built for James Deering.
Disney On Ice: Mickey’s Search Party: September 16-19
FTX Arena (formerly AmericanAirlines Arena), 601 Biscayne Blvd, Downtown Miami
It’s a frosty feast for the eyes! Round up the family or playdate group to watch Disney’s most iconic characters and stories unfold on ice. This world-class skating adventure will feature high-flying acrobatics and unexpected stunts, bringing Disney’s most magical moments to life.
Virginia Key Beach Park Clean-Up Day: September 18
Virginia Key Beach Park, 4020 Virginia Beach Drive, Key Biscayne
Have fun as you give back and preserve the beautiful beaches of Virginia Key. Volunteer at this one-day, country-wide initiative by ICC (International Coastal Cleanup) to clean up the marine environment. Join like-minded volunteers at Virginia Key Beach to help raise awareness, pick up plastic and other marine debris, and spend a meaningful Saturday doing your bit for the environment.
Impressions: Monotype Printing with Jennifer Printz: September 18
Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, 10975 SW 17th St, FIU University Park
Inspired by their two-and-a-half month-long “Cycles” exhibit featuring Leonardo Drew’s prints collection, the museum will be hosting a weekend workshop for hands-on learning. Join artist and FIU Assistant Professor of Drawing Jennifer Printz as she helps participants explore layering textures and imagery using found objects to create fragile yet powerful impressions.
Barks & Brews Pet Adoption at Bay 13 Brewery: September 25
Bay 13 Brewery, 65 Alhambra Plaza, Coral Gables
Come find your new best friend and enjoy some homegrown brews at this pet adoption event with @adoptmiamipets and Miami-Dade Animal Services to give our deserving furry friends their furever home.
Forward Motion - Physically Integrated Dance Festival: September 22-25
Koubek Center – Miami Dade College, 2705 SW 3rd St, Little Havana
Get ready to have your perception of dance and movement be challenged at this “integrated” dance festival. This four-day festival brings you groundbreaking contemporary dance performances, executed impeccably by individuals, both with and without disabilities. Redefining the concepts of beautiful movement and physical beauty, this first-of-its-kind festival is a must-see for all those who love to be ahead of the cultural bend and celebrate all expression.
Mercedes Benz Corporate Run: September 23
Bayfront Park, 301 Biscayne Blvd, Downtown Miami
Our favorite corporate run of the year is back in action. Join #MBCR2021 with your team of 4 (or more) or come by to cheer your favorites, either way it’s going to be an action-packed evening. Besides acing the 5K run, teams will be competing for awards in 18 industry categories as well as a sweet T-Shirt Contest.
Eric Clapton with Special Guest Jimmie Vaughan: September 26
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 1 Seminole Way, Hollywood
Catch the legend and three-time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Eric Clapton, live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. Worth planning ahead for, this Sunday evening concert will have the legendary guitarist strum out some of his greatest hits with Sharon White and Katie Kissoon on backing vocals plus Doyle Bramhall II, Paul Carrack, Nathan East, Sonny Emory, Steve Gadd, and Chris Stainton as part of his band.
David Bisbal - Gira En Tus Planes Tour: September 30
The Fillmore Miami Beach, 1700 Washington Ave, South Beach
Mark your calendars for this can’t-miss concert by Spanish singer-songwriter David Bisbal. The chart-topping singer will be bringing his velvet-smooth vocals and charm to the Fillmore Miami Beach this September, so make sure you catch the sensation live in action.
Various Films at the Coral Gables Art Cinema: Throughout September
Coral Gables Art Cinema, 260 Aragon Ave, Coral Gables
With the Coral Gables Art Cinema now open for in-person viewings, it’s time you kicked back with some popcorn and enjoyed your favorite films on the big screen. Here are some of our top picks for the month:
- Trilogy of The Lord of the Rings - September 4, 5, 6
- The Prince of Egypt (animated) – September 11 & 12
- Nights of Caribia by Fellini – September 12 & 14
- Azor – September 24 to 30
- 2021 Sundance Film Festival Shorts – September 26
Events at the Adrienne Arsht Center: Throughout September
Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd, Arts & Entertainment District
- Birds of Paradise, Carnival Studio Theater, September 16-19. Watch the world premiere of Miami-based choreographer Pioneer Winter as they continue their exploration of beauty outside the mainstream. The provocative and immersive queer solo has been choreographed to portray the themes of agency, survival, and transformation.
- Standup Hour by Hasan Minhaj, Ziff Ballet Opera House, September 17. Returning to his storytelling roots after the success of his award-winning Netflix original comedy Homecoming King and show Patriot Act, the standup comic will be sharing quirky insights from tussling with dictators, billionaires, and more.
- An Evening With Gabrielle Union Discussing You Got Anything Stronger?, Knight Concert Hall, September 18. Join the tireless advocate for the marginalized and victimized, Gabrielle Union for an inspiring evening as she discusses her latest book with Dwayne Wade.
Events at the Deering Estate: Throughout September
Deering Estate, 16701 SW 72nd Avenue, Palmetto Bay
Shorts Under the Stars: Animation, September 19. Enjoy animated short films and a picnic on the scenic front lawn of the Deering Estate with a movie selection part of the Miami Short Film Festival.
Full Moon Viewing and Full Moon Yoga, September 20. Take in the gorgeous views of this sprawling estate as you simply relax with family and friends, or sign up for an empowering yoga session under the full moon.
Poetry Reading: An Afternoon with Caridad Moro-Gronlier, September 25. Join Moro-Gronlier at the Great Hall of the Stone House, as she reads from her debut collection of poems TORTILLERA.
Events at the Fairchild Gardens: Throughout September
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables
- For Plant Lovers – a 2-day International Aroid Society Annual Show and Sale, a Succulent and Air Plant Terrarium workshop on the 11th, a Bonsai Design Class on the 18th, a 15-day Art and Science Of Growing Orchids workshop starting 21st, Plant Club Day plus How To Attract Birds To Your Garden on the 25th, and the Art of Orchid Arrangement also on the 25th.
- For Photography Lovers - Through the Eyes of the Artist on the 15th, Lights and Shadows on the 15th, Digital Photography 101 on the 16th, Portrait Photography on the 21st, capturing The Native Butterfly Garden on the 22nd, and The Colors of the Garden on the 27th.
September 2021: Virtual Events in Miami
What is Miami to You? – A Conversation: September 9
This free Zoom event will feature artists Asser Saint-Val, Izia Lindsay, and Rosa Naday Garmendia in conversation with moderator Rosie Gordon-Wallace - Founder, Curator, and Director of Diaspora Vibe Gallery and Diaspora Vibe Cultural Arts Incubator. Join in to this informal chat about the multifaceted identity of WALL’N Collective, and how the ever-evolving City of Miami inspired their recent projects.
Conversations at MOCA: September 14 & 29
Tune in for some food for thought as you join in these virtual conversations at the Museum of Contemporary Art:
- Honoring Michael Richards, September 14. 20 years after the tragic passing of Michael Richards in the 9/11 attacks, his cousin Dawn Dale and co-curators of his upcoming monograph will be discussing the artist’s legacy and restored artworks with filmmaker, visual artist, and curator Tiona Nekkia McClodden.
- Book Preview & Celebration for “Michael Richards: Are You Down?” September 29. Join this virtual discussion which is an apt follow-up to September 14’s discussion and public preview of the late artist’s forthcoming monograph “Michael Richards: Are You Down?” The panel will be discussing Richards’ references to flight, the Tuskegee Airmen, Caribbean, and African American histories in his collected works.
Watercolor Pyramids – Bass Family Day: September 26
Those looking for artistic indulgence over the weekend should definitely join this free, virtual artmaking class streamed over YouTube. Get the little ones to gather art materials found at home and create interesting light sculptures. A great way to explore and understand the ways in which light and form can work together in 3D, remember to tag your unique creations @thebasscreativitycenter on Instagram and share your mini-masterpiece.
Care to share where you’re headed this September?? Let us know what you’re up to on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.